Follow us on

Facebook  Twitter

Translate this site

Local Directory

Stretton Antiques Market

36 Sandford Avenue
Church Stretton
Shropshire
SY6 6BH

Tel: 01694 723718
E-mail: Send an e-mail
Website: http://terryandlisa@hotmail.co.uk

 

Stretton Antiques Market is now a Shropshire institution - a treasure-trove, rambling over four floors. People make their way here from all over the country, just to amble away a few hours rooting through the vast collection of vintage knick-knacks, crockery, furniture and goodness knows what other surprises.

Aladdin's Cave, with over 60 dealers under one roof.

Mon-Sat 10.00-5.00 Sun 10.30-4.30

Picture_2

Picture_3

Picture_4

The building now housing the Stretton Antiques Market in Sandford Avenue was originally built as a maltings, warehouse and shop by the Macartney family. It opened c. 1904 and closed about the time of the outbreak of the Second World War. Subsequently for several of the war years the building was used as an Industrial training workshop by St Dunstan's which moved to Church Stretton from their premises at Ovingdean, near Brighton, after the fall of France in mid-1940.

Beginning with the Long Mynd Hotel (for accommodation) and Tiger Hall (as a hospital) St. Dunstan's gradually took over many of the large premises in the town for accommodation, training or recreation purposes. Over 700 servicemen and women and a number of civilians were looked after and trained in new skills after being blinded during the war. St. Dunstan's returned to their south coast premises in 1946. There is a plaque commemorating the association between St. Dunstan's and the town in the north transept of St. Laurence's Church.

The St Dunstan's charity was renamed Blind Veterans UK in 2012